John A.C. Keith
John Keith is a co-founder of Blankingship & Keith. A native of Fairfax, he has been practicing law in Virginia courts since 1975. John has handled cases involving all sorts of commercial disputes including business torts, fraud, real estate, employment, and partnership and corporate fights of various types. John has also represented fiduciaries and beneficiaries in will contests and all varieties of trust and estate litigation. In addition, he has significant experience in legal malpractice defense cases.
An experienced mediator and arbitrator, John has also represented countless clients in all types of alternate dispute resolution proceedings. John also offers counsel and practical advice to businesses and law firms, particularly when they are restructuring or splitting up.
John continues to be active in the firm's trust and estate practice, doing document drafting as well as estate and trust administration. He has had an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell since 1987.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell
- Chambers USA, Litigation – General Commercial Litigation, Band 2 (2021)
- U.S. News - The Best Lawyers in America®, Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Legal Malpractice – Defendants; Litigation - Trusts and Estates; Trusts and Estates (2001-2022)
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers in America®, "Lawyer of the Year", Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Washington, DC (2014 & 2018)
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year”, Legal Malpractice Law - Defense, Washington, DC (2013)
- Northern Virginia Magazine, Top Lawyer - Civil Defense (2019)
- Virginia Business Magazine, Legal Elite: Alternative Dispute Resolution; Civil Litigation (2000-2021)
- Super Lawyers, Super Lawyer - Business Litigation (2006-2022)
- Super Lawyers, Top 100 Virginia Lawyers (2012-2022)
- Super Lawyers, Top 100 DC Lawyers (2007, 2013-2018)
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly, Virginia Lawyers Hall of Fame, Inaugural Class (2018)
- President, Virginia State Bar (1998-1999)
- President-elect, Virginia State Bar (1997-1998)
- Bar Council, Virginia State Bar (1991-1999)
- Executive Committee, Virginia State Bar (1993-2000)
- Virginia State Bar Standing Committee on Legal Ethics: Member, (1991-1997); Chairman, (1996-1997)
- 10th (now 5th) District Committee: Member (1983-1986); Chairman (1985-1986)
- Faculty Member, Course on Professionalism (1990-1993)
- Judicial Performance Evaluation Task Force, Supreme Court of Virginia: Member (2000-2001)
- Chair, Joint Commission on Multi-disciplinary Practice (2000-2002)
- Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Board (2013-2019); Chair (2017-2018)
- Virginia State Bar/Virginia Bar Association, Joint Commission on Multidisciplinary Practice: Chair (1999-2002)
- Boyd – Graves Conference (on civil litigation): Chair (2018-2019); Secretary (2018), Member, Steering Committee (2003-present)
- Fairfax Police Youth Club, Past President and President of Corporate Board
- Episcopal Diocese of Virginia, Member of Standing Committee (2006-2009)
- Vestry, St. Mary's Episcopal Church (2009-2011)
- Historic Fairfax City Inc. - Board of Directors (2013 - present)
- John Keith has tried numerous jury and non-jury trials in state and federal courts since 1975. Over the years, his cases have involved corporate disputes, contracts, real estate, legal malpractice, fiduciary matters and employment law.